Toggle menu

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment issued by the Department for Works and Pensions for people in or out of work.

What benefits did Universal Credit replace?

Universal Credit replaced the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Instead of getting a separate Housing benefit payment, your housing costs will be paid as part of your monthly Universal Credit payment. It will be your responsibility to pay your rent to your landlord.

Council Tax Reduction payments are not included in Universal Credit. For more information visit our Council Tax Reduction page.


How to apply

Information you need to make your claim

Before you apply, check if you are eligible.

You will need the following information to make your claim:

  • your (and your partner's) National Insurance number
  • your postcode
  • an email address - you can create one using Google Mail or Outlook
  • your landlord's name and address
  • your eligible rent if you are living in social housing - this can be different from your full rent (make sure to check with your landlord so you get paid the right amount of Universal Credit)
  • details of any children, relatives, friends who live with you, including their name, date of birth, age and income
  • account details of where you want your Universal Credit to be paid - account number and sort code (if you do not have a bank account, visit the Tees Credit Union for further help and support)
  • details of any savings
  • if working - your expected monthly wage
  • details of any other income you receive

We cannot give you Universal Credit. You need to apply for it through the GOV.UK website.

Apply for Universal Credit

Step-by-step video guide to making a Universal Credit Claim


Get help with your claim

If you need further help to claim online, there are many different options available.

Contact the Universal Credit free helpline0800 328 5644, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

You can contact our Welfare Rights service on: 01642 526141, Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm and Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

The following external organisations also provide Universal Credit application support:


Actes can provide support for residents through their bespoke IT support course - Work IT Out. The course is for anyone aged 19 and over living in Stockton and Middlesbrough who would benefit from improved IT skills to help them with Universal Credit and to find future employment. Visit the Actes website for further information on the scheme.

Stockton District Advice

SDAIS (Citizens Advice Bureau) provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.
Visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website for further information.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon