Toggle menu

Report a change in circumstances

You must tell us straight away about any changes in circumstances for you, your partner, any dependent children or any non-dependant who lives with you.

We use the personal and financial details you supply at the time of your claim to work out how much Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Local Housing Allowance you are entitled to.

The benefit letter we send tells you the information we have used to work out your benefit. You should read the letter carefully to make sure the correct income and personal details have been used.

How to report a change in circumstances

If any of the information used to work out your benefit is wrong, you must tell us straight away.

We may ask for proof of the change, and we may need to see original documents.

You need to complete, download and save our change in circumstance PDF form.

Report a change in circumstances form (PDF) [630KB]

You then need to use our benefits general form to upload your completed PDF and submit your application.

Submit your change in circumstances request

It is an offence not to report changes in your circumstances and we may take action against you.

Examples of changes you need to tell us about

Changes to your or your partner's income or savings

You should tell us if you or your partner:

  • start work
  • stop or start to get Income Support, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.
  • start to get tax credits or the amount changes
  • earn more or less money after changing your hours, your job or after getting a pay rise
  • start or stop receiving child benefit, or start receiving less child benefit
  • start to receive a private pension, or the amount changes
  • stop or start receiving any social security benefits or other income
  • have any other income you receive that has increased or decreased
  • have an increase or decrease in savings in a bank or building society account
  • receive a lump sum payment due to redundancy, compensation, maturing policy or the sale of a property


Changes to the home you live in

You should tell us if you or your partner:

  • move to a new home
  • have to pay more or less rent as a private tenant
  • leave temporarily or permanently


Changes regarding the people who live with you

You should tell us if:

  • you or someone who lives with you gives birth or becomes responsible for a child
  • a child leaves school or college
  • your childcare payments to a registered childminder, nursery or after school club alter
  • anyone comes to live with you or someone living with you moves out (this could be a partner, child or other adult)
  • the income of anyone living with you changes



Further help

If you need further help or advice contact us.

Contact us about Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction