Toggle menu

Support for people with disabilities or long term health conditions

There are many services within our council and other organisations that may be able to provide you with support if you have a disability or long-term health condition.

We are committed to putting every person who needs support at the heart of all that we do and for people with disabilities this means being flexible and offering every one who is eligible for social care services the opportunity to direct their own support.

If you are contacting us with a request for services then please get in touch with our First Contact Team:

Reablement Service

We provide support and rehabilitation through our Reablement Service to help people regain their functioning resulting from illness, disability or injury.

Visit our reablement page for more information.


Sensory Support Team

Our Sensory Support Team offers support and advice to those with a sensory loss, for example, visual impairment, those hard of hearing or deaf and those with dual sensory loss. Support and guidance are provided by specialist social workers and include:

  • assessment of needs to determine care and support needs
  • signposting to local support groups and agencies
  • registration of impairment, where appropriate

Services can include:

  • the supply of specialist equipment to maintain independence
  • rehabilitation training - for example those who are visually impaired (partially sighted or blind) may benefit from training to cope with daily living such as communication and accessing the community
  • provide British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters for all assessments which we are committed to provide
  • completing registration - for example your GP may have referred you to a consultant ophthalmologist. If the consultant ophthalmologist has given you a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI), a copy will be sent to your GP and specialist sensory support team. When we receive the certificate, we will contact you to provide you with information about registration and offer you an assessment

Our specialist mobility/rehabilitation officers can provide training and advice on independent living skills, communication and orientation and mobility to enable people to be as independent as possible.


Support for People with Learning Disabilities

We also have services for adults with learning disabilities is made up by two teams, the Care Management Team and the Resources Team. Each team comprises a range of professional support staff including doctors, nurses, social workers and therapists.


Other support

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The Personal Independence Payment helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you're aged 16 to 64. The rate you could get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

Visit the GOV.UK website for more information on Personal Independence Payments

Support to adapt your home to your needs

If you have a disability, you may be eligible for support to adapt your home to your needs. We offer two types of assistance, a facilities grant and an equipment loan, to help you adapt your home to make it easier for you to live independently.

Visit our adapt your home to your needs page for more information 

Council tax reductions

If you or someone who lives with you has a disability or a long-term health condition, you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax Bill.

Find out if you can get a Council Tax reduction 

Safe Place Scheme

Safe Place Schemes are places in the community where people who need extra support can go if they need some help. This 'help' can range from a phone call to home to ask a relative to pick them up, or help with directions.

Most people who use these schemes have a learning disability and often just the knowledge that schemes are in place makes people feel safe and able to go out and about more independently. Members of the schemes already use places in Stockton, for shopping, leisure, travel and sport but now know that they could get extra help from them if needed.

The schemes are in various places across Teesside and are supported by the Police, Fire Brigade and local councils.

Safe Places will:

  • register with the Police and local council and display the logo in a place that people can see it, for example in a window
  • recognise the logo shown if somebody comes in for help and make sure their staff know how to help, reassure the vulnerable person and ring their emergency contact person

If you live in Stockton-on-Tees and would like to be a member of the scheme or become a safe place venue in the Stockton-on-Tees area contact the First Contact team:

Lanark Short Breaks Service

Lanark Short Breaks Service is a purpose-built facility, which offers planned short breaks and emergency support to any person with an identified learning disability aged 18-65 years old who lives in the Borough.

The activities offered include baking, cooking, arts and crafts, a gym, a sensory support room, a games room, a garden as well as access to community facilities. Lanark Short Breaks Service received a 'Good' rating from its most recent Care Quality Commission inspection in 2019.

For more information or to arrange a visit please contact the Lanark Short Breaks Service on 01642 527842.


STEPs supports people with disabilities so they can discover and explore the many activities, facilities and organisations that exist within their local community.

STEPs aim to improve choice and provide more flexible options for local people.

For further information contact the STEPs team on 01642 524525.