Adapt your home to your needs
If you have a disability, you might be eligible for support to adapt your home to your needs.
We offer two types of assistance to help you adapt your home to make it easier for you to live independently.
Disabled facilities grant
You can apply for a grant of up to £30,000 to adapt to your home.
You can use the grant for adaptations such as:
- widening doors
- installing ramps
- installing stairlifts
- installing over bath or level entry showers
- improving heating systems
- adapting heating or power controls
- re-arrangement or enlargement of the kitchen or modification of units and installations.
- improving access to and movement around the home and access to the garden
We may be able to loan you equipment such as a stair lift or ramp. We will usually only recommend this scheme if you need an adaptation quickly.
Who can apply?
You or the person you're applying for must:
- live in your property and be disabled
- own the property or be a tenant
- intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)
You can also apply for a grant if you're a landlord and have a disabled tenant.
We need to be happy that the work is:
- necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person's needs
- reasonable and can be done - depending on the age and condition of the property
The amount of grant you receive will depend on your financial situation.
How to apply
Contact the First Contact Team to begin your application.
We will complete an occupational therapy assessment to understand your needs and contact you to let you know more about the process of awarding grants.
We will also carry out a financial assessment to decide how much assistance you are eligible for.