Toggle menu

Housing Benefit for 2 homes

Housing Benefit is normally paid on the home you live in. There are certain times when you might need to pay rent on 2 homes and we may be able to pay benefit on both.

Examples of situations where Housing Benefit can be claimed for 2 homes

Absence through fear of violence

The fear of violence can be from someone living in the home you are absent from, or outside it if it is from someone who used to live in your home.

The maximum time we can pay housing benefit for both homes is 52 weeks.

We can only pay on both homes if:

  • the renting of two homes could not be avoided
  • you intend to return to live in your former home

If you do not intend to return to your former home we may only pay benefit at that home for a maximum of 4 weeks after you leave.

Large families

If you have been housed in 2 homes by Stockton Council due to the size of your family, we will take into account the rent charged for both homes.

Although both homes must have been provided by Stockton Council, we do not have to own them.

If you have found your own homes, you may not get help with rent on both homes. You should contact us on 01642 393829 as soon as possible.

Overlapping rents

If you have moved and you are charged rent at your old and new home, we may pay benefit on both homes for a maximum of 4 weeks.

To qualify for Housing Benefit on 2 homes due to overlapping rent the following must apply:

  • you have moved into your new home. Housing Benefit is normally only paid from the date you moved in so you should move into your new home straight away (we can only award Housing Benefit before the date you move in certain cases)
  • you could not avoid paying rent at both homes. For example, you needed to move in quickly as your new home is specially adapted for a disability
  • you have provided confirmation from your landlord at your previous address of the date you have been charged rent to


Students and trainees

If you or your partner is a student and you are eligible for Housing Benefit, you can apply for Housing Benefit on two homes if you are studying away from your home. There is no time limit.

We can only pay on both homes if:

  • it is reasonable to do so
  • you could not avoid living in two homes


How to apply

Apply for Housing Benefit for 2 homes

Further Help

If you need further help or advice contact us.

Contact us about Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support