Toggle menu

Premises licence

A premises licence authorises premises to be used for one or more licensable activities.

You need to apply for a premises licence for the following activities:

  • the retail sale of alcohol
  • regulated entertainment (this may include plays, films, indoor sporting events, live music, recorded music, performance of dancing and recorded music)
  • late night refreshment (hot food or drinks between the hours of 11pm and 5am)

If you intend to supply alcohol, you must have a nominated Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). This ensures there is always one person who can be easily identified where a premises licence is in force. This person will be responsible for the day to day running of the premises. All supplies of alcohol under a premises licence must be made by or under the authority of the personal licence holder. The DPS must hold a personal licence.

Before you apply

Before you apply, read the relevant sections of the Licensing Act 2003 Statement of Licensing Policy and the revised guidance issued under section 182 of Licensing Act 2003.

How to apply

Our Pool of Model Conditions will help you understand the application process 

Apply for a premises licence

After you have applied you should display a notice on or outside of your premises for 28 days starting from the day you submitted.

Read our Public Notice for Premises guidance to ensure you include everything needed 

You should also publish a notice in a newspaper or newsletter that circulates in the local area around your premises. This must be advertised at least once during the period of 10 working days after the day you applied.

Read our Newspaper Advertisement for Premises guidance to ensure you include everything needed 

Members of the public can make relevant representations on your application up to 28 days after the day you applied.


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.

Pay your annual charge

Pay your annual charge for your premises licence 

Make a change to your premises licence

Apply for a variation of your premises licence

Apply for a minor variation of your premises licence

Apply to transfer your premises licence

Consent to transfer

Consent to be named as a Designated Premises Supervisor

Apply to vary the Designated Premises Supervisor

Notify us of a change of trading name for a licensed premises

Tell us about a change of name or address for a designated premises supervisor or premise licence holder

If you would like to: 

  • apply for a provisional statement
  • request to be removed as a DPS
  • apply for a DPS to be disapplied
  • apply for a notification of an interest in a premise under section 178
  • apply for an interim authority notice

Complete our contact us form 

Request a copy of your premises licence

Apply for a copy of your premises licence 

Surrender your premises licence

Surrender your premises licence 

Club premises certificates

To apply for a club premises certificate, contact us on 01642 524802 or

Pay your annual charge for your club premises certificate

Surrender your club premises certificate 

Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802