Toggle menu

Personal licence

To supply alcohol or authorise the sale of alcohol within licensed premises in England and Wales you must have a personal licence.

Before you apply

Read the relevant sections of the Licensing Act 2003 Statement of Licensing Policy.

Before you can apply for a personal licence you must get an accredited licensing qualification. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of the licensing law and the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol.

Visit the GOV.UK website for information on accredited qualification providers.

How to apply

Read our personal licence guidance notes for help with your application.

Apply for a personal licence

What happens next?


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.

Tell us about a change to your licence

Notify us of a change of name or address for your personal licence 

Request a copy of your licence

Apply for a copy of a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 

Surrender your personal licence

Surrender your personal licence 

Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802