Toggle menu

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licences

You need a licence if you intend to let a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).

To rent your property to five or more people who are not from the same household but share rooms such as a bathroom or a kitchen, you need a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence.

The most common types of HMOs are:

  • bedsits
  • shared housing
  • hostels
  • bed and breakfast establishments
  • lodgings
  • registered care homes
  • boarding houses

Apply for, renew or change a House in Multiple Occupation licence

Use our online form to apply for, renew or change a HMO licence. You must tell us if there has been a change in yours or the property's circumstances. We will not charge you to vary your licence.

Before applying, you must make sure:

  • the house is suitable for the number of occupants (this depends on its size and facilities)
  • the manager of the house - you or an agent - is 'fit and proper', for example they have no criminal record or breach of landlord laws or code of practice

Apply for, renew or change a House in Multiple Occupation Licence

Fees for applying for, renewing or changing a licence

The fee you need to pay depends on how many units of accommodation there are in your property. A unit of accommodation can be:

  • a bedsit room
  • a self-contained flat which is part of the property
  • a bedroom in a shared house or flat
Basic application fee£250 per unit of accommodation
Renewal of licence£250 per unit of accommodation
Add units of accommodation to an existing licence£250 per unit of accommodation
Add an owner to the property (but the licence holder remains the same£50



If you are a member of our landlord accreditation scheme, you will get a discount of £50 per unit of accommodation on application and renewal fees.


Get a temporary exemption

You can apply for a temporary exemption if you own a property that could be classed as a house in multiple occupation, but you intend to do one of the following:

  • stop renting the property
  • reduce the number of occupants

If your application is successful, your exemption will last for 3 months. You can apply for a secondary exemption if you cannot resolve the issues within the period of your exemption. After 6 months, you must apply for a full HMO licence.

Contact us to apply for a temporary exemption.

What happens after you apply

We will check that the proposed licence holder and others managing the HMO (or anyone associated with them) are 'fit and proper' people. We will check for:

  • any previous convictions relating to offences involving violence, drugs, sexual offences and fraud or dishonesty
  • contraventions of laws relating to housing, health and safety, public health, building or planning legislation or landlord and tenant law
  • evidence that the person has practised unlawful discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, ethnic or national origins or disability

Waiting for consent

Tacit consent does not apply to your application for a HMO licence.

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, contact us.


How to appeal our decision

Contact us to complain about the way your licence application has been handled. 

If we have refused your application, you can appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal - Property Chamber (Residential Property) within 28 days of us making our decision.


Contact us