Smoke and Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 (as amended) Statement of Principles
Principles to be followed in determining the amount of a Penalty Charge
The level of the Penalty Charge will be determined by including the following:
- officer costs incurred in determining whether any remedial action is required
- officer costs incurred in the preparation and service of a remedial action notice
- the cost incurred in undertaking the remedial work
- officer costs incurred for the arrangement of remedial work
- officer costs incurred in the preparation and service of a penalty charge notice
- a fine
The Authority considers that on the occasion of a first offence and upon prompt payment of that Penalty Charge on that first occasion, this should attract a reduction of 25% of the fine in recognition of proportionality and early admission of liability.
Repeated offences should attract a progressively higher penalty in view of continuing disregard for legal requirements and tenant safety.