Toggle menu

Apply for building control approval

It is important to get building control approval before you start working on your project.

There are two types of building regulations applications:

If you have carried out work without getting approval first, you can complete a regularisation application to get retrospective approval.

Full plans

Full plans are for all building works including domestic extensions, new builds and commercial projects.

We will check your applications before you start work and advise of any changes that you need to make. We will provide you with an approval certificate when your proposed plans meet the regulations.

More information on full plans applications

Building notices

Building notices are for minor works including:

  • internal alterations

More information on building notices

Making an application

To help support applicants with the changes that commenced on 1 October 2023 by virtue of The Building Regulations etc. (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2023, we have produced the following application forms and notices for use within the Borough:

  • Building Regulations Application for Building Control Approval with Full Plans (England)
  • Building Regulation Building Notice Form (England)
  • Building Regularisation Certificate Application Form (England)
  • Notification of Change of Dutyholder (England)
  • Regulation 16(4A) Completion Notice (England)

This new format must be used from 1 December 2023 and from this date, previous forms will no longer be accepted.

To request one of the forms, call 01642 526040, 01642 526067 or 01642 527812, or email

Advice and guidance

Advice and guidance on making an application is available on the LABC website which gives detailed information on the process.

Advice and guidance on making an application

You can also speak to Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council for advice by calling 01642 526040 or 01642 526043.