Toggle menu

Temporary event notice

If you wish to hold an event that involves the sale of alcohol or the provision of entertainment not covered by an existing premises licence or club certificate, you must apply for a temporary event notice (TEN).

Before you apply

Before you apply, read the relevant sections of the Licensing Act 2003 Statement of Licensing Policy

How to apply

You must notify the licensing authority, the police and environmental health of your event.

You must be 18 or over to apply for a TEN and you must apply between 10 and 28 clear working days before your event.

You can apply for a "late" TEN up to 5 clear working days before the event, but not earlier than 9 clear working days before. Working days do not include the day of receipt, the first day of the event, bank holidays and weekends.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities, you must apply to each authority.

Read our temporary event notice guidance notes for help with your application form.

Apply for a temporary event notice

What happens next?

We will let you know we have received your application, either before the end of the day if it is a working day or by the end of the next working day if not.

The police or environmental health can object to your event if they believe it could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, our licensing committee will hold a hearing no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved.

Tacit Consent only applies to a TEN if no relevant representations are made during a period of 48 hours after the notice has been given to the Police.

If relevant representations are made within 48 hours of a valid TEN being received, tacit consent does not apply and a public hearing must be held to determine your application.

Refused applications

Contact us on 01642 524802 or if your application has been refused and you want to appeal.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice, you can appeal against the decision.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days and must be made less than 5 working days before the day of the planned event.

Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802