Toggle menu

How to appeal against your Council Tax bill

Appeals against Council Tax liability, discounts, reductions and exemptions

You can appeal your bill if you think we have made a mistake, for example:

  • you think you are not liable to pay Council Tax
  • you think you should get a discount and we are not giving you one, or we are not giving you the correct amount of discount
  • you think your property should be exempt from Council Tax

To do this contact us using our online contact form, stating that you would like to make an appeal and detailing your reasons why. You can also use this form if you require more information or haven't found what you are looking for.

Contact us about Council Tax

If you make an appeal to us and you don't agree with the decision, or we fail to notify you within two months, you have the right to appeal to the  Valuation Tribunal website.

If you make an appeal you must continue paying the instalments shown on your bill.

Appeals against your Council Tax band

The Valuation Office Agency values domestic properties for Council Tax. This valuation is used to set your Council Tax band. You might need to contact the Valuation Office Agency if you think your Council Tax band is wrong.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do on the Challenge your Council Tax band GOV.UK webpage. If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay Council Tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the Valuation Office Agency on the Contact the Valuation Office Agency GOV.UK webpage. If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the Valuation Office Agency on 03000 501 501.