Toggle menu

Private hire and taxi vehicle licence

Vehicles used for public or private hire purposes must be licensed by the local authority and can only be driven by licensed hackney carriage or private hire drivers.

New applicants, licensed trade and members of the public can can read the Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Licensing Policy for full details.

Before you apply for a new vehicle

After checking your vehicle is suitable to the guidelines in appendix G of our policy document, you should have your vehicle tested.

To book your vehicle in for a test, contact Cowpen Depot Garage on 01642 524615 or 01642 528256. 

You should complete your application within 28 days of your vehicle test.

How to apply for a new vehicle

 Apply to licence a new private hire or hackney carriage vehicle

What happens next? 

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of these applications. 

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved. 

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. 

If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us on 01642 524802 or


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.

Renew your licence

Apply to renew your private hire or hackney carriage vehicle licence

Accident damage and convictions

Report an accident or damage to a licensed vehicle

Tell us about a motoring or criminal conviction or a caution

Tell us about a change to your licence

Change the address the licensing team hold for you

Complete the proprietorship requisition form

Tell us about a transfer of a licensed vehicle

Tell us what private hire operator you will be working for

Apply for exemption from displaying private hire plates and signs

Apply to advertise on your licensed vehicle

If you would like to:

  • change your vehicle registration mark
  • return your vehicle licence and plates

Complete our contact us form 

Order replacements

Replace a vehicle plate, internal comment card, door or window stickers

Replace your dash display wallet, docu-dash clip, lanyard, tariff card or plate bracket

Limousine and speciality vehicle hire

If a limousine or speciality vehicle has 8 seats or less, parents should contact us to check if the company is licensed as a private hire operator with private hire vehicle and private hire driver licences. The only exemptions to this are vehicles used for weddings and funerals, not proms.

Operators of limousines or speciality vehicles with 9 or more seats must hold a public service vehicle operators' licence with the Driving Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). The DVSA is urging parents to carry out an online check on the website.

Unlicensed operators are not insured to carry passengers. This means they may not undergo regular vehicle or driver safety checks and could be operating vehicles with defects that are dangerous.

Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802