Toggle menu

Support for carers​

There are lots of organisations who support carers and cared-for people. Each service will discuss your situation with you and direct you to the most appropriate service (if it is not them).

Stockton-on-Tees Adult Carers' Support Service 

We provide an Adult Carers' Support Service which supports all adult carers (over 18) in Stockton-on-Tees who care for another adult (over 18). We offer assistance to carers to help them identify their own needs and put plans in place to make sure they are preserving their own health and wellbeing. We also support with signposting and navigating local services. 

For more information: 


Eastern Ravens Trust

Young Carers (under 18) can get support such as: 

  • respite breaks - time out for young carers to meet others in similar situations, take part in activities similar to their peers such as group work to increase confidence and self-esteem
  • family support - help for parents and guardians, including listening ear support and signposting to other agencies and services
  • whole family activities - opportunities for young carers and their families to enjoy fun activities together, reducing isolation and combating poverty

For more information: 


Stockton Parent Carer Forum 

Parent carers of a child with additional needs.

For more information:


Special Needs Activities with Parents Support (SNAPS)

Parent Carers of a child with additional needs.

For more information:



A service for carers, grandparent carers, young carers or sibling carers who support someone affected by drugs or alcohol.

For more information:


LiveWell Dementia Hub 

The LiveWell Dementia Hub is a  community-based service that provides dementia information, support and training  for anyone living in Stockton-on-Tees. This includes people with dementia, their families, their carers and anyone who would like to learn more about the condition. 

The Hub environment has been designed to better support people with dementia and offers a calm space where you can access: 

  • up-to-date information about dementia   
  • information about the services, support groups and social activities available locally 
  • memory service appointments 
  • dementia awareness training and support 
  • carers education courses

For more information: 


Useful further help and support

Cinema Exhibitors' Association (CEA) card 

The CEA card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema (please check with individual cinemas to find out if the accept the card). 

If you require an adjustment to visit a cinema because of your disability, cinema staff should make them for you whether you have a CEA Card or not. For more information visit the CEA card website.

Warm Home Discount Scheme 

You could get money off your electricity bill under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. 

The money is not paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out. 

You may also qualify for a winter fuel payment if you were born on or before 5 November 1953. You may be eligible for between £100 - £300 to help you pay your heating bills. You will usually receive the payment automatically if you are eligible and you are in receipt of the state pension or other benefits. Visit the warm home discount scheme for more information. 

Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme 

Discretionary Housing Payments are payments to help people with their housing costs when their housing benefit or universal credit payments still leave them struggling to pay their rent. Payments are in addition to housing benefit - you must be getting housing benefit or universal credit which includes an element for housing costs towards a rental liability to apply. Visit our Discretionary Housing Payments page for more information. 

Priority Services Register 

The Priority Services Register (PSR) is a free service provided by suppliers and network operators to customers in need. You can receive the services available if you: 

  • are of pensionable age 
  • are disabled or chronically sick 
  • have a long-term medical condition 
  • have a hearing or visual impairment or additional communication needs 
  • are in a vulnerable situation

To be added to the Priority Services Register, you simply need to contact your energy supplier. You can find their contact details on your energy bill. If you have a different supplier for your gas and electricity, you need to contact them both. If you switch supplier, you'll need to register for the service again with them. 

Watersure Scheme 

Watersure is a scheme which helps some people with their water bills. To apply for the scheme, you must be on certain means-tested benefits and need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because your household has a certain number of school-age children. You also need to be on a water meter or be waiting to have one installed. Visit Northumbria Water Watersure scheme to find out more. 

TV licence discounts 

You can get a free TV licence if you're 75 or over and a discount if you're blind or in residential care. You can also get a short-term licence if you're 74. It's valid until the end of the month before your 75th birthday. 

You can get a 50% discount if you're registered blind or live with someone who is. The licence has to be in the blind person's name - if it isn't you can transfer it. Find out more on the TV licensing website.  

Blue Badge Parking Scheme 

The blue badge parking scheme provides a permit for people with mobility problems to park close to where they need to go. Visit our Blue Badge page for more information.