Toggle menu

Street trading consent

If you wish to trade in Stockton-on-Tees, you need street trading consent. It is an offence to trade without proper consent.

To sell or offer for sale any article (including a living thing) in any street, you need to apply for consent. Street means any road, footway or other area the public have access to without payment.

We have adopted the relevant provisions of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 to control street trading and prevent potential problems.

We have designated some streets as consent streets (where you need the consent of the Council to trade) and some as prohibited streets (where trading is prohibited). Further information is available in our Street Trading consent guidance notes.

If you hold a pedlar's certificate under the Pedlars Act 1871 and are acting as a pedlar, you are not covered by this legislation.

How to apply

You must be 17 or over to apply.

Apply for a street trading licence or consent

What happens next?

The following matters will be taken into consideration:

  • whether your application is for a special occasion
  • the articles you want to sell
  • the location you want to trade
  • the times and dates you want to trade
  • any other relevant circumstance

We aim to complete your application process within 28 working days.

If successful, you will be granted a street trading consent for up to 12 months but it can be revoked at any time.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of these applications. 

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved. 

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. 

If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us on 01642 524802 or


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.


Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802 


Contact us about Consent Street Trading