Apply for a Section 50 licence
To put new apparatus into the highway or to repair existing apparatus, you need a Section 50 licence.
- a piece of equipment used for a particular purpose such as water pipes, cables and sewer pipes
- any piece of equipment used to lodge another piece of apparatus, such as a duct laid for a cable
- a piece of equipment placed to gain access to another piece of apparatus, for example a manhole or inspection chamber
Before you apply
Before you apply, you will need:
- a certificate of public liability insurance (minimum £5 million)
- proof of employee accreditation under the Street Works Act for operatives
How to apply
Read our Section 50 licence application guidance notes before completing the below form.
You must pay a fee to Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council before work starts on site. The fee for new apparatus and repairs to existing apparatus is £450, inclusive of standard rate VAT. This fee is for a maximum length of 200 metres.
You must complete and submit the Registration of works to the Street Authority within 7 days of completion of the works and clearing site.
For further information about obtaining a Section 50 licence email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Section 50 licence does not give permission to widen an access or construct a vehicle crossing, visit our driveway crossing page for more information.