Toggle menu

Other licences

We can help you through the application process for a hypnotism licence, pleasure boat and boatmen licences and sex establishment licences.

Sex establishment licence

To run a sex establishment you need to apply for a licence from us. This includes a sex shop, a sex cinema or a sexual entertainment venue.

A sex shop is premises used for business which consists to a significant degree of selling sex articles.

A sex cinema is any premises used to a significant degree to show films which are concerned primarily with, relate to or are intended to stimulate sexual activity.

A sexual entertainment venue is a venue that generally offers one or more of the following:

  • lap dancing
  • pole dancing
  • table dancing
  • strip shows
  • peep shows
  • live sex shows

Read our Sex Establishment Licensing Policy for guidance before you apply. 

Further information can be found in the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. 


Pleasure boat and boatmen licences

To hire out water-bound pleasure that are for personal use or carrying passengers, you need a licence.

This includes:

  • sailboards
  • rowing boats
  • canoes
  • motor boats
  • pedalos
  • larger boats

To operate any of these you are also required to be licensed as a boatman.

Read the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 for more information.


Hypnotism Licence

To demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority in England and Wales.

Read the Hypnotism Act 1952 for more information.

There is no fee for this application. 


How to apply

Contact us to apply for, renew or notify us of a change regarding any of these 3 licences.

 Complete our contact us form

What happens next?

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of these applications. 

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved. 

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. 

If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us on 01642 524802 or


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.


Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802