Toggle menu

House to house collection permit

To complete house to house collections for money or goods for a charitable purpose, you must apply for a permit from us. These collections generally take place from door to door or from one premise to another including pubs and shops.

Do I need a permit?

You do not need to apply for permit if the charity is operating under a Home Office exemption certificate but you are still required to advise us in writing of your exemption and the date and location of your planned collection. We can then avoid double booking an area.

Before you apply

Before you apply, read the House to House Collections Act 1939.

How to apply

There is no cost for a permit and anyone over the age of 16 can apply.

You must submit your application at least 28 working days before your planned collection.

Apply for a house to house collection permit

If your application is successful, after your house to house collection you need to let us know the amount collected by completing a form of statement.

Complete a form of statement

What happens next?

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of these applications. 

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved. 

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. 

If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us on 01642 524802 or


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.


Approved house to house collections

Visit our licensing registers page to view a list of approved house to house collections


Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802