Toggle menu

Report giant hogweed

Giant hogweed is a non-native, invasive species that has been around for years.

Whoever owns the land that giant hogweed is on must take responsibility for dealing with it. 

Each spring we undertake annual chemical treatment on areas of Council-owned land across the borough and on the Public Rights of Way network.

We also respond to reports from members of the public. If the report relates to an area of Council-owned land we will carry out an inspection and follow-up with any necessary treatment and add the land to our annual treatment programme.

Where we know that there is giant hogweed on private land in the vicinity of the river, we refer this to the Tees Rivers Trust who undertake a chemical treatment programme of its own. We also offer advice to private land owners who have problems relating to giant hogweed.

To report a giant hogweed problem, or to seek advice on how to treat it, please contact our Customer Services team on 01642 391959.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon