Toggle menu

Gambling premises licence

We are responsible for the licensing of premises in Stockton-on-Tees where gambling activities take place.

Do I need a premises licence?

Premises that can be licensed for gambling under the Gambling Act 2005 include:

  • adult entertainment centres
  • betting offices
  • bingo halls
  • casinos
  • family entertainment centres

If your premises provides a gambling facility where both the stakes and prizes are very low, or gambling is not the main function of the premises, you need to apply for a gambling permit.

Before you apply

Before applying for a gambling premises licence you'll need to apply for an operating licence.

Read the relevant sections of our Statement of Licensing Principals and our Gambling Safeguarding Guidance for Premises.

You may need to notify the various responsible authorities of your application. View details of the responsible authorities in Stockton.

How to apply

To apply for:

  • a premises licence
  • a premises licence for a vessel
  • a provisional statement

Complete our gambling contact us form

What happens next?

We will assess your application against the following objectives:

  • prevent gambling from being a source of crime and disorder
  • ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
  • protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.


Tell us about a change to your premises licence

To apply to:

  • vary a premises licence
  • transfer a premises licence
  • request a review of a premises licence

Complete our gambling contact us form


Pay your annual charge

Pay your annual charge for your gambling premises licence 

Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802