Toggle menu

Explosives and fireworks licences

To store or sell fireworks, you may need to apply for an explosive storage licence or an annual supply of fireworks licence.

Explosives storage licence

Do I need a licence? 

You need an explosives storage licence if you intend to supply or sell fireworks during the following periods:

  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days before
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days before
  • between 15 October and 10 November
  • between 26 December and 31 December

You need a licence to store between 5kg and 2,000kg of explosives including fireworks and small ammunition. This includes the amount held on a shop floor and in stock rooms or storage areas. You do not need a licence to store less that 5kg of explosives.

Fireworks for retail sale are mostly Hazard Type 4 but some may be Hazard Type 3 (usually marked 1.3G). If you are storing any Hazard Type 3 explosives, you should treat your entire stock as if it was Hazard Type 3 and you can only store up to 100kg.

If you are then storing more than 25kg of Hazard Type 3 or a combination of Hazard Type 3 and 4, you are also subject to separation distances from other buildings, accommodation or public areas.

If you are in any doubt as to the Hazard Type or Net Explosives Quantity (NEQ) you should get advice from your supplier, as responsibility to store in a safe manner and within permitted quantities rests with the licence holder.

The quantities referred to in¬†the¬†Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2010 are the Net Explosives Quantity (NEQ) and not the gross weight. NEQ is the quantity of the actual explosives contained within the product.


How to apply 

You will need to supply a detailed plan of your premises and details of any convictions you hold with your application.

The issuing of a licence for more than one year will be assessed on individual bases against any risks and issues highlighted from officer inspections.

Contact us to apply for an explosive storage licence 

Annual supply of fireworks licence 

Do I need a licence? 

If you intend to supply or sell fireworks all year round, you need an annual supply of fireworks licence. 


How to apply 

Contact us to apply for an annual supply of fireworks licence 

After you apply, we will check that you have an explosives registration or licence and your licence will be issued following a 28-day consultation period.

What happens next? 

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of these applications. 

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with licence applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved. 

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. 

If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us on 01642 524802 or


If we refuse your application, you may be able to appeal this decision to the Magistrates' Court or First-Tier Tribunal.

Full details will be included in any refusal notice.


Contact us

Contact the Licensing Team for advice on any licence or to make a complaint about a licensed business.

Phone: 01642 524802