Toggle menu

Privacy Notice - Returning Officer (RO) and Electoral Registration Officer (ERO)

Stockton's Returning Officer (RO) and Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) are registered data controllers and we collect and use information personal to you in accordance with data protection legislation.

This document outlines what you can expect from us when you provide us with your personal information.

Why are we asking for your information and how will we use the information about you?

We have a lawful basis to collect your personal information and use it to deliver our services to you under the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013.


Who will use your information?

To verify your identity, the data you provide will be processed by the Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service managed by the Cabinet Office. As part of this process your data will be shared with the Department of Work and Pensions and the Cabinet Office suppliers that are data processors for the Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service. You can find out more information about this on the Register to vote privacy webpage.

In some instances, we may share your information with other services within the Council as part of service delivery or because we are legally required to do so. An example of this would include sharing information with the council tax department to prevent fraud. We may also share your information with necessary bodies such as the Police in relation to the prevention and detection of crime.

We are also legally required to share your information with credit reference agencies, the British Library, UK Statistics Authority, registered political parties, elected representatives and other statutory recipients of the Electoral Register; to contracted printers to print your poll cards and other electoral material; and details of whether you have voted (but not how you voted) to those who are entitled in law to receive it after an election.

Anyone who receives information from us has a duty to adhere to data protection legislation.

We may also access information about you from other departments within the Council in order to fulfil our statutory obligation to maintain a complete and accurate electoral register, or to validate the identity of applicant voters.



During the Coronavirus Pandemic the Returning Officer and the Electoral Registration Officer have a responsibility to support The Public Health Team within Stockton on Tees Borough Council to manage and prevent the further spread of the Covid 19 Virus. Covid 19 data held by the RO and ERO during the course of the election may be required to be shared with NHS services and relevant services within Stockton on Tees Borough Council for example Public Health ,Health and Safety or Human Resources Service.  Such data would only be used for the purpose of the management and spread of the Corona Virus and shared if there is a legal basis to do so. All data is held securely and subject to strict controls that meet the requirements as set out in the Data Protection Act.


How long will we keep your personal information?

We will not hold your personal information for longer than necessary. To find out how long we will keep your information for, please contact us.


How can you access or correct your personal information?

You have the right to request the following in relation to some of the personal information we hold (e.g. contact details). Subject to some legal exceptions, you have the right:

  • to have any inaccuracies corrected
  • to have your personal data erased
  • to place a restriction on our processing of your data
  • to object to processing; and
  • to request your data to be ported (data portability)

If you would to like to exercise any of the rights outlined above please contact us. If you would like further information about your rights to your information, visit the Information Commissioner's Office.

You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information that the ERO and RO holds about you. To do this complete our online form.

Is your personal information processed overseas?

Your information will not processed outside the European Union.


What happens if I don't provide you with my personal information?

The law requires eligible individuals to provide personal information to enable them to be registered to vote.

If you do not provide us with the personal information we have requested, you may be liable to a fine and it may not be possible to deliver our services to you; ultimately you may be unable to vote in future elections. For more information about how this might affect you, please contact the Electoral Helpline on 01642 526196.


If something goes wrong with your personal information or if you have any questions about how we use it contact the Information Governance Team in the first instance:

If you remain unhappy about the way which we have handled your personal information and wish to complain contact the Information Commissioner's Office.