Toggle menu

Care homes, residential care and supported living services

Residential Care Homes

There are 53 care homes within the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees for adults who cannot live independently in their own homes for a number of reasons.

The care homes are staffed 24 hours a day and provide a safe and comfortable place to live.

Full details of care homes and care services can be found on the Stockton Information Directory..


Supported Living

Supported living is also known as extra care or housing with care.

There are many different models of supported living, including:

  • sheltered housing
  • extra care housing
  • assisted living
  • close care
  • continuing care environments
  • care villages

This type of accommodation allows you more independence than a care home but with additional care for extra peace of mind. This may include resident management staff, mobility facilities and community alarm services.

A list of sheltered housing for older people and care services can be found in the Stockton Information Directory housing page.

If you want to remain in your own home but feel you would benefit from additional support, you will find information and advice on our help at home pages.


Checking the Quality of Care Services

The Care Quality Commission is the independent health and social care regulator for England. It checks whether hospitals, care homes and care services meet national standards. Visit the Care Quality Commission website for more information.


Protecting your property whilst in care

We provide a service for people who are unable to look after their home and personal property during periods of admission to hospital or residential care.

As a Local Authority we have a duty, under section 48 of the National Assistance Act 1948, to protect your moveable property when:

  • you are admitted to any hospital

  • you are admitted to a home provided under Part III of the Act

  • you are admitted to any other place under Section 47(3) of the Act

This duty applies if it appears that you are temporarily or permanently unable to deal with or protect your property and that no other arrangements have been or are being made to protect it.

As soon as the worker involved with your care is aware that your property needs protecting they will make arrangements for the building to be secured. Permission from you as the owner or tenant will be sought to enter the property, unless you are unable to give it due to reasons of ill health. 

We will:

  • visit your home on a regular basis to carry out routine checks

  • complete an inventory of the contents of large items, such as furniture

  • make a record of perishables we dispose of

  • remove small portable valuable items such as cash, cheque books, benefit books from your home and keep them in safe storage until you are able to return home

  • alert the police that you are not at home and that we hold a key for emergencies

  • take particular attention to ensure that pets are properly looked after as we recognise their importance to you (animals are taken to boarding facilities until you are able to return home)

Your Social Worker or Care Co-ordinator will give you more information or you can contact the First Contact Team:


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon