Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Verification of claims

council tax

Verification is a minimum set of standards about the information we can accept to support claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

It encourages accuracy in calculating benefit claims from the beginning, and helps to detect and prevent fraudulent claims.


How verification will affect you

When you make a new application for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, you need to prove your identity. You can do this by providing proof of your National Insurance Number(s) for both you and your partner.

An original document from the following list is acceptable:

  • P45/P60
  • Printed (not hand-written) payslips
  • Income Tax letter
  • Notification letter from the Department for Work and Pensions
  • National Insurance number card
  • Award letters for State Benefits.

You also need to provide us with one of the documents on the following list.

If you do not have a National Insurance number or an original document with your number on it, you need to provide us with TWO different original documents from the following list:

  • Current valid Passport
  • National identity card issued by a European Economic Area Member state
  • Home Office Standard Acknowledgement Letter (SAL 1 or 2)
  • Full driving licence
  • UK Resident Permit
  • Marriage certificate
  • Utility bill - paid in your name for the last quarter
  • Local authority rent card or Council Tax bill
  • Divorce or annulment papers
  • Certificate of employment in HM Forces
  • Certificate of employment in the Merchant Navy
  • Printed wage slips from current employer
  • Certificate of employment under the crown
  • Full or short birth certificates
  • Life assurance or insurance policies
  • Child Benefit book
  • Bank statements dated within the last four weeks
  • Letter from a Solicitor, Social Worker or Probation Officer
  • Medical Card

If you cannot provide any documents from this list, please call 01642 393829 for further advice.  

If you have not been able to provide us with evidence of your or your partner's National Insurance number, but you have provided the alternative documents, we will contact the Department for Work and Pensions and ask them to supply your National Insurance number.  The Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support application form will list any further evidence you may need to provide depending on your circumstances.

Once your original documents have been checked, verified and copied by us, we will return them to you the same day.

You can take original documents to your local Customer Services Centre who will take a photocopy, confirm the original document has been seen and return your documents while you wait. 

Find out how you can get advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction