Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Information for claimants with non-dependants

A non-dependant is a person over 18 years of age who normally lives with you, such as an adult son or daughter, or parent. We may reduce your weekly benefit if you have a non-dependant living in the property with you.

The level of deductions are set each year by the Government and will depend on the age, circumstances and income of the non-dependant.


Exceptions for non-dependants deductions

There is no deduction for non-dependants if either you or your partner: 

  • Are registered blind
  • Receive Attendance Allowance
  • Receive the care component of Disability Living Allowance or the daily living component of the Personal Independance Payment 

Additionally there is no deduction if your non-dependant is:

  • Under 18
  • Under 25 and on:

- Income Support

- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance which does not include an amount for the support component or work-related activity component, or

          - Universal Credit calculated without earned income

  • Receiving Pension Credit
  • A full time student or healthcare student
  • Participating in 'work based training for young people' (formerly Youth Training)


Youth Trainees

If you or someone who lives with you is a youth trainee it may affect your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support.

 Apply online for a Council Tax Discount for Youth Trainees



If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice it may affect your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support.

Apply Online for a Council Tax Discount for Apprenticeships 


View deduction rates for non-dependants. 

Find out how you can get advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction