Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Bowesfield Primary School will be closed on Monday (21 January) in order for a deep clean to take place following a sickness bug. Read more

Housing Benefit

council tax

If you're making a new Housing Benefit claim (and are of working age), you may have to claim Universal Credit instead. Please visit our Universal Credit page for more information.


Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance help people on a low income to pay their rent.

The amount of any benefit depends on your particular circumstances and takes into account:

  • Your (and any partner's) income and savings
  • Who lives in your household
  • The amount of rent you pay

If you rent your home from a private landlord we may not work out your housing benefit on the full rent charged but on the relevant Local Housing Allowance Rate

If you rent your home from a social landlord the rent used to work out your Housing Benefit may be reduced if you have more bedrooms than you need

You may not be able to claim Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance if you have claimed Universal Credit. Universal Credit will help with your housing costs, unless you are in Supported Accommodation.


Making a claim

You can find how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you may be entitled to before you make a claim by using the benefit calculator.

To make a claim or discuss your individual circumstances, please call our helpline on 01642 393829.


Providing Evidence

Use this form to submit evidence documents online to support your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim. This form should only be used where original documents are not required.

Provide Evidence Online


Requesting Housing Benefit for two homes

There are certain times when it is unavoidable to pay rent on two homes and in these cases we may be able to pay benefit on both.

Apply for Housing Benefit for two homes


Payment of Housing Benefit direct into your account

Your Housing Benefit can be paid directly into your bank account or building society current account. We cannot pay benefit into post office accounts.

Apply to have your Housing Benefit paid directly into your account


Sharing information with your landlord

Sharing information with your landlord could help us deal with your claim more quickly and reduce the risk of you falling behind with your rent because of your claim being delayed.

Ask us to share information with your landlord


Advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Find out how you can get advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.