Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Our Public Access online planning service will be unavailable Thursday 24 and Friday 25 May. We apologise for any inconvenience caused Read more

Annual Canvass to update the Voter (Electoral) Register

The Council has a legal duty to keep a list of everyone in the Borough that is entitled to vote (young people aged 16 or over are included in the register, even though they cannot vote until they are 18). This list is called the Voter Register, or Electoral Register. 

When there is an election, or referendum, the Voter Register is used to make sure no one misses out on their right to vote.


Updating the Register

Every year the Council has to update the Voter Register to make sure it is complete and accurate – i.e. check that everyone entitled to vote is on the register, and anyone not entitled to vote is removed.

We do this by carrying out a canvass of all the residential properties in the borough. It usually takes place between August and November. Then, along with all other councils, we publish a new Voter Register on 1 December.


The 2017 Canvass

At the beginning of August 2017, every household in the Borough received a letter and form called a Household Enquiry Form (HEF).

By law you must respond to the form. it includes details of the people who are currently registered to vote at your address.

You need to check that the information is correct. Then you must confirm it is correct, or provide details of the changes needed.

Any adult in the household can respond to the HEF. The letter explains how you can respond to the HEF, or you can use the advice below.


Are all the details correct?

"Yes" – All correct and no changes  

If all the details on the form are correct, please confirm this using ONE of the following options:

  • Text – “NOCHANGE” with your security code to 80212 (standard charges apply)
  • Freephone – call 0800 1979871
  • Complete and return the form in your envelope – if you cannot use any of the above options.

*Please note – you need to use the security codes at the bottom of your letter


"No" – Details are not correct, or information is missing

If some details are wrong or information is missing – such as a spelling mistake; someone has moved out; or you have recently moved in – you must let us know.

It's quick and easy to do this if have access to the internet. Just make the changes online using the advice above.

If you use the online service, you do not need to return the paper form.

If you cannot use the online service, complete and return the form in the pre-paid envelope provided.


What happens next?

i) If you respond to the HEF by telling us there are no changes, we will not contact you again as part of the 2017 canvass;

ii) If you respond to the HEF by telling us new people are now living at the property, we will send each person an Invitation to Register* (ITR).

*A change in the law means we are no longer allowed to update the Voter Register from the household form. Each person must register themselves, providing their National Insurance number and date of birth to prove their identity.

If you register online we will not need to send you a paper ITR.

iii) If you respond to the HEF by amending any of the information on it, we may contact you again if we need further details.



If you do not respond to the Housing Enquiry Form, we are required to send you a reminder, and if necessary a second reminder.

Please help us save money by responding to the first form.

If we send any Invitations to Register, we are also required to send up to two reminders for these, so please register as soon as you can.


Canvasser visit

If we do not get a response to any of the HEF forms or ITRs, we must send a canvasser to visit the property.

Completion of the HEF is a legal requirement and failure to provide the information could lead to a fine.


For further information:

Contact:        Democratic Services – Electoral Registration


Telephone:     01642 526196

Address:       Democratic Services (Electoral Registration)

                       Municipal Buildings

                       Church Road


                       TS18 1LD