Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Councillors and Council meetings (egenda)

town hall

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

Local Councillors are the people elected every four years to represent your interests in local affairs. Each Councillor represents a small area, or ward, and the people who live within that area.

Read the Be a Councillor Guide for further information or visit the Be A Councillor website.

Stockton Borough has 56 Councillors and 26 wards, with between one and three Councillors representing each ward.

The current political representation of the council is as follows (3 May 2019):

Labour 24
Conservative 14
Thornaby Independent Association 7
Ingleby Barwick Independent Society 3
Fairfield and Yarm Independents 3
Liberal Democrats 2
West Words 2
Independent  1

You can also view the Election Outcome Map.

See the following for further information.


Cabinet Briefings

The Cabinet Briefing e-bulletins provide a quarterly update of activity in each of our Cabinet portfolio areas.



Councillors are responsible for setting the Council's policies and making the important decisions on how services are provided at regular meetings of the Council, the Cabinet and Committees.

Stockton, along with the four other Tees Valley Local Authorities, have agreed to work together as the Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA) as part of a Devolution Deal for the Tees Valley agreed with the Government.

Meetings of the TVCA are open to the public to attend and copies of their meeting papers can be found on the Tees Valley Combined Authority website.

Most councillors arrange regular ward surgeries. Where ward surgeries are not provided, a Councillor will arrange a suitable appointment where you can informally discuss problems or other matters concerning your neighbourhood. You can find information about these surgeries on Councillors' Personal webpages.

Some areas also have Parish or Town Councillors.