Council Tax Support helps people on low incomes pay their Council Tax. You can claim Council Tax Support if you are on Universal Credit.
- You can apply for Council Tax Support if you are aged 18 or over and you have to pay Council Tax on your home.
- If you are of working age you can get help with up to 80% of your Council Tax bill. Therefore, even if you qualify for help you will have to pay at least 20% of your Council Tax bill. If you are of pension age you can get help with up to 100% of your Council Tax bill. Under the Council Tax Support rules you are classed as pension age when you reach the qualifying age for Pension Credit.
- The amount of Council Tax Support depends on:
- Your (and any partner's) income and savings.
- Who lives in your household.
- The amount of Council Tax you pay.
- You can find how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you may be entitled to on our benefits calculator.
To apply for Council Tax Support or if you want to discuss your individual circumstances please call our helpline on 01642 393829.
Council Tax Support scheme
You can find the full details of our Local Council Tax Support scheme in the following documents.
Advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support