Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Council Tax and Household bills Financial Support

The Council is determined to do all we can to help those who are struggling financially as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

We are working hard to support our residents. 

Here you can find out about some of the financial support available with Council Tax and other household bills.


Council Tax Information

We appreciate that people may be struggling to pay their Council Tax. If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax due to the pandemic, please get in touch. We will explore all possible options with you. Please email [email protected] and include in your email your name and address, telephone number, your preferred email address, your Council Tax account number, and a brief outline of your circumstances. If you are unable to email please call 01642 397108 instead.

Depending on your income you may be eligible for Council Tax Support, for more information and to apply click here.

In March the Government launched a Hardship Fund and the Council is using its share of the £500 million to make local Council Tax Support reductions. Revised Council Tax bills incorporating additional reductions of up to £150 for all 12,000 working age recipients of Council Tax Support have been issued week commencing 18 May 2020. This additional discount of up to £150 will also be applied to people who become eligible for working age Council Tax Support during the rest of the 2020/21 financial year.


Energy bills

An agreement between the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and domestic energy supply companies sets out principles to support energy customers impacted by COVID-19. This is known as the BEIS / domestic energy supply companies agreement.

If you are a family self-isolating and on a credit/smart meter, you can contact your suppler if you are running out of credit so they can support you appropriately. Disconnection of credit meters is currently completely suspended.  

If you are in concerned about your bills, speak to your supplier as payments could be reassessed, reduced or paused.

If you, or someone you know, is vulnerable such is of pensionable age, has children under 5, a disability or long-term medical condition, it is important to let your energy supplier know immediately. Each energy supplier keeps a Priority Services Register of people who may need additional assistance.

Here is a list of the energy companies and contact details for your reference.

  • British Gas - call 0333 202 9802
  • EDF - call 0333 200 5100
  • on - call 0345 052 0000
  • Npower - call 0800 073 3000
  • Scottish Power - call 0800 027 0072
  • SSE - call 0345 026 2658
  • Bulb - call 0300 303 0635
  • Co-op Energy - call 0800 093 7547
  • E Energy - call 0333 103 9575
  • Green Network Energy - call 0800 520 0202
  • Green Star Energy - call 0800 012 4510
  • Omni Energy - call 0113 457 3219
  • Ovo - call 0330 102 7517
  • Robin Hood Energy - call 0800 030 4567
  • Utilita - call 0345 207 2000

Of course, if you are struggling, you can always get advice from the Council here.