Apply for a licence to work on a highway

Aerial shot of the A66 road in Stockton

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

The following information may be useful to people looking to carry out work on a public highway.

To obtain a licence or if you have any questions please call our Care for Your Area Team on 01642 391959.

Skip licences

Anyone who wishes to put a skip on the highway must obtain a licence.

We will remove unlicensed skips and place them in storage. All costs associated with this will be forwarded to the offending company. We charge £15 to cover the associated costs of this service.

Guidelines issued by us must be followed in order to ensure that the licence remains valid.


Scaffolding Licence

If you intend to erect scaffolding on any part of an adopted highway you will need to apply for a licence from the Council.

The Highways Act 1980 makes it a legal requirement to obtain permission from the Local Authority in order to build, erect or maintain scaffolding on the highway.

Failure to obtain a licence may result in an offence for obstruction of the highway.

Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council, as the responsible local Highway Authority, only allow suitably qualified companies to erect scaffolding on the highway. 

The key objective is to ensure the safety of all pedestrians and road users is the first priority when working adjacent to the road, pavement or any part of the highway.

All applications to occupy the public highway must be accompanied by:

  • Plan of the location of proposed scaffolding
  • Certificate of public liability insurance (minimum £5 million)
  • Application fee £75 (2 weeks)

The applicant shall allow at least 10 working days between the date of the application for a license to place a scaffolding on the highway and the date on which the license is intended to commence.

The minimum period for a scaffold licence is 2 weeks. You should always apply for a licence for the full duration of time that you will require the scaffolding to be on the highway. If you need it beyond this time, you will need to renew (extend) your licence at least 5 working days before the original licence expires for a further 2 weeks at an additional cost of £50.

To apply for your scaffolding licence please read the following guidance notes and complete the below form. Completed forms with copies of the above requested information should be sent to the Streetworks Permits team within Community Services and Transport.


Driveway / vehicle crossing licence

It is illegal to place materials or ramps in the street to create a driveway crossing.

A vehicle crossing (sometimes known as a dropped kerb) is needed for vehicular access to a property or business to prevent both damage to the footway and the vehicle crossing the footway.

Request a driveway crossing

You can hire a private contractor to carry out the work to provide a vehicle crossing but certain criteria must be met before the works can commence, including the completion of an 'Opening Up licence' - contact us for advice before proceeding with the work. 


Section 50 Licence

A Section 50 licence is required if contractors wish to put new apparatus into the highway or to repair apparatus that is already there.

The Section 50 licence does not give permission to widen an access or construct a vehicle crossing, these are to be carried out under an Opening Up licence.

A fee is payable to Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council prior to work commencing on site. The fee for new apparatus and repairs to existing apparatus is £400.00, which is inclusive of standard rate VAT. This is for a maximum length of 200m.

Proof of Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5 million is required to work on a public highway, footway or verge.

Operatives must have proof of Employee accreditation under the Street Works Act.

Please apply for your Section 50 Licence using this form and forward to the Streetworks Permits team of Community Services and Transport.