For Coronavirus information including the current restrictions, any disruptions to Council services, how to book a COVID-19 test and the support available for residents and businesses visit www.stockton.gov.uk/coronavirus
The Council is responsible for preparing and reviewing the Development Plan which provides the framework against which Planning Applications are considered. Further guidance for developers and the general public can be found in Supplementary Planning Documents which provide further advice on the interpretation of specific policies within the Development Plan. The Council also works with bodies involved in Neighbourhood Planning a process which allows communities to produce documents to influence development in their area.
The Council produces a number of monitoring and supporting documents which provide information on the implementation of the Development Plan, as well as some of the evidence which the plan is based.
The Government also requires the Council to:
- Prepare a Local Development Scheme setting out the documents that the Council
- Adopt a Statement of Community Involvement which details how the Council will involve people with an interest in the planning process
- Maintain a Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register which allows people that are looking at building or commissioning their own home to express an interest in doing so with the Council.
- Produce a Brownfield Land Register which provides up-to-date and consistent information on sites that Local Planning Authorities consider to be appropriate for residential development.
- Produce an Infrastructure Funding Statement which provides information on planning obligations.
More information on these topics can be found on the Neighbourhood Planning, Self-Build and Brownfield Land webpage.
Availability of Documents
As well as being available on the Council’s website, paper copies of the Development Plan, Supplementary Planning Documents, Local Development Scheme and Statement of Community Involvement are available to view in Libraries across the Borough.
In addition two draft Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) were adopted on 27th May 2021. The following are the adopted documents:
- Adoption Statement - Housing Supplementary Planning Document and Householder Extensions and Alterations Supplementary Planning Document
The documents were made available for public consultation between Wednesday 8th January and 5pm on Wednesday 5th February 2020.
SPDs are guidance documents which provide further detail and are intended to help understand how the relevant policies within the Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council Local Plan will be applied.
Please click on links below to view the draft documents in full.
- SPD: Housing – This document provides guidance on the interpretation of Local Plan policies relating to affordable and accessible and adaptable homes. It includes guidance on a range of approaches, standards and mechanisms required to deliver a range of housing to meet identified needs and assist applicants to submit a planning application.
- SPD: Householder Extensions and Alterations – this document aims to provide clear guidance in relation to extensions and alterations to residential properties in order to improve the quality of householder development.
The following documents were also made available as part of the consultation and have informed the preparation of the SPDs:
View and Comment
This consultation ended at 5pm on Wednesday 5th February 2020.