Building Control

Building control regulations

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Safety checks on private residential tower blocks

Following the tragic recent fire at Grenfell Tower in London, the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) is asking that all owners, landlords and managers of private residential blocks are aware of their responsibilities in carrying out the appropriate checks and testing on their buildings.

Please follow the links below to view the guidance letter and data return form on testing from the DCLG as well as the Stockton Rental Standard which provides advice to landlord and agents to help ensure all private rented properties are of a high quality and well managed.

Building regulations are the minimum standards laid down by Government. They address the design and construction of buildings as well as the provision of services, fittings and equipment in buildings.

The Building Control service in Stockton fulfils the purpose of supervising the functions as set out in the Building Act 1984 and other relevant building legislation.

The Lloyd’s Quality Assurance logo shown here has been awarded to Stockton Building Control after the service has been rigorously assessed by Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance in accordance with ISO 9001:2015 quality management system. Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) is a world leading, independent provider of Business Assurance services including management system certification, validation, verification, and training to which this Building Control service has received their approval. This approval is continuously monitored.


Applying for Building Regulations


How to make an application

It is possible to make an application by downloading one of the following forms:

The Building Regulations Full Application - The full application should be paid for in two stages. The initial payment is required during the application submission stage and the remaining fee will be required once work commences on site. An invoice will be sent to you after the first inspection has been carried out.

Building Notice - The Building Notice costs the same as a full application but payment is required in full when submitting the application form.

Regularisation Application - If an extension/alteration has been carried out without first seeking Building Regulation approval, a Regularisation application may be accepted in order to regularise the unauthorised work carried out. This means that you can apply to Building Control to obtain retrospective approval for the completed work, however this is only possible for work carried out after 11 November 1985. Please note that the Council is under no obligation to accept the application. For further details see what happens if I contravene the Building Regulations?

Reversion Application - A Reversion Application is intended to be used in respect of the Building Regulations 2010 where an Initial Notice from a Corporate Approved Inspector has ceased to be in force and the application is to revert back to the Local Authority.

Application forms should be completed and returned using one of the methods:

By post
Send the completed application form and payment to Building Control, Municipal Buildings, Church Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 1LD.

By email
Complete the relevant application form and email together with drawings to [email protected]

In person
Visit the Customer Contact Centre, Stockton Central Library, Church Road, Stockton. Office opening times are Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.

If you would like to speak with a Building Control Officer, it is advisable to book an appointment.


How much will it cost?

Read the building control price lists*:

Table A - Standard charges for the creation or conversion of a new dwelling

Table B - Domestic extensions to a single domestic building

Table C - Domestic alterations to a single domestic building

Table D - Non domestic work - Extensions and New Building

Table E - Non domestic work - Alterations

For further help please contact Building Control on telephone: 01642 526040 or email: [email protected].

The Building Control Trading Account Statement for 2019/20 is now available to view.

*Please note that new building control charges are now in force from 1st January 2021.


How to make a payment

All Building Regulation fees can be paid with a credit or debit card over the phone by contacting our office on any of the following phone lines:

01642 526067

01642 528715

01642 528718.

Alternatively, you can pay online by visiting then selecting Most Popular > Online Payment Services > Other Payments > Building Control.