We take great pride in keeping our streets, parks and open spaces clean and tidy. To make sure of this we provide a dedicated team of staff and resources which work 7 days a week throughout the year, across the borough.
Our responsibilities include;
- Daily cleaning of main shopping areas such as town and villages centres
- The removal of grit, mud, litter, grease, debris and leaf fall from adopted highways, streets, council owned car parks and other public areas.
- Cleaning of main roads, footpaths and residential streets as and when required
- Weed spraying, strimming overgrown vegetation and clearing becks and water courses.
- Removal of graffiti from public land and street furniture within 36 hours and we will respond to offensive incidents within 24 hours of being reported.
- Removal of needles and syringes within two hours. Please do not pick up needles, syringes or any other drug related items, unless it poses an immediate danger to you or other residents. To report items which pose a risk to public safety and requires immediate attention, please call our Care for Your Area Team on 01642 391959 Telephone Opening Hours. Outside of these hours including Bank Holidays please contact our Civic Enforcement Service on 01642 528989.
We can also help to support and grow small community clean up groups by providing advice, equipment and disposal of collected rubbish. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss starting your own group within your area.
Please note that we do not remove litter from private land, unadopted roads or unadopted footpaths, this is the responsibility of the land owner.
Fly-tipping is a criminal offence which carriers a maximum penalty of up to £50,000 or 12 months in prison. Anyone caught fly-tipping in Stockton-on-Tees could also soon face an on-the spot penalty of £400. Any resident who fails to correctly dispose of waste can also face a fixed penalty notice or even prosecution if the waste is subsequently fly-tipped. More information on fly-tipping and its effects can be found by visiting the Gov.uk website.
Reporting an issue or concern
You can report issues in confidence regarding fly tipping, litter and graffiti plus non-urgent issues via our Do it Online page.
You can also report by phone 01642 391959 or email [email protected]
If you see anyone illegally disposing of waste from their cars, you can report this by emailing [email protected]
All instances of environmental crime are investigated by the Civic Enforcement Service.
Community Litter Picking
We are proud to support the Community Litter Picking groups which have been set up by residents across the Stockton-on-Tees Borough. If you would like to join your local litter picking group or to find out more about the work that they do you can follow them on social media:
|Billingham Tidy Up||Facebook - Twitter - Instagram|
|Hardwick & Roseworth Community Litter Pick|
|Ingleby Barwick Community Litter Project||Facebook - Instagram|
|Norton Clean Up Your Act|
|Portrack Litter Picking Community Group|
|Thornaby Community Litter Project||Facebook - Twitter - Instagram|
|Yarm Litter Project|
Our service aims to comply with the Environmental Protection Act - Code of Practice on Litter and Refuse, which sets out various standards for street cleansing. We monitor our performance using the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) benchmarks which identifies the standards that we have achieved in relation to litter, detritus, flyposting and graffiti.