Help for landlords

Houses in the Borough

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Anyone thinking of renting out a property should be aware of legal obligations before proceeding.

Stockton Council, in partnership with the Government's advisory body, Local Authorities Co-ordinators of Regulatory Services (LACORS), has issued a checklist that potential landlords should refer to before proceeding with a property rental.

Advice includes:

  • Talk to your mortgage lender.
  • Get references from potential tenants.
  • Prepare a formal tenancy agreement.
  • If you take a deposit, it must be properly protected.
  • Find out if you need a property licence.
  • Get all gas and electrical appliances checked.
  • Obtain an energy performance certificate.
  • Minimise the risk of fire.
  • Ensure that your property presents no risk to your tenants' health and safety.

Failing to talk to a mortgage lender could see people lose their home, while not storing a tenant's deposit in an approved deposit protection scheme could cost landlords three times over.

Failing to apply for a licence for a licensable property could result in a prosecution where a Magistrates Court could impose an unlimited fine or the issue of a Civil Penalty by the Council of up to £30,000.


Checklist for landlords

Although there is no specific training required to become a landlord in England there is a lot of legislation that if not followed could result in serious consequences, both in relation to the health and safety of the occupants and potential legal issues for a landlord. Therefore, we have produced a checklist to help you ensure that you are fully aware of your responsibilities and how to comply with all relevant legislation.

This checklist is not exhaustive and legislation is likely to change at any time so if in doubt contact the Private Sector Housing Division or a Solicitor.

  • Before renting out a property get permission from your mortgage lender.
  • Check with your insurance provider to ensure you have adequate protection and advise tenants to obtain contents insurance.
  • Have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) available for prospective tenants to view.


Useful links

Tenancy agreements tenancy agreements guide tenancy agreements model agreement

Deposit protection services deposit protection schemes

How to rent how to rent guide

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarm regulations explanatory booklet

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Right to rent right to rent immigration checks: landlord's code of practice

Houses in multiple occupation

The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006

Electrical safety guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector