For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

County Of Cleveland Act 1987 - Occasional Sales Notification

Licence Summary

If you intend to hold an occasional sale in the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees or if you intend to permit such an event to be held in premises which you occupy (or on a site adjoining) within the Borough you must supply the following information to Trading Standards not less than 21 days before the sale:

  • Date or dates, time of commencement and expected duration of the sale,
  • Details and extent of the premises to be used,
  • Nature of the goods or services to be offered,
  • The name(s) and business address(es) of the promoter(s),
  • The name & address of a person appointed to receive and answer complaints,
  • Anticipated attendance by the public.

An occasional sale means an event at which articles are offered for sale to the public by one or more sellers in the course of a trade or business - but does not include markets held under statutory authority, markets promoted or conducted by a registered charity or markets for the sale by auction of farm livestock.

Failure to comply with these provisions could render you liable to fines of up to £2,500.


Regulation Summary

Control of Occasional Sales legislation.


Application Process

Both the promoter of the sale and the occupier of the premises should complete the notification form. 

We will notify you of receipt of your notification within five working days.


How To Apply

Application form pdf Apply online
Notification Of An Occasional Sale View View


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that tacit consent does apply in respect of this application. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this by using the contact details below.


Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, visit our Consumer pages or DirectGov for advice. From outside of the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction