For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Do you work in customer's homes?

There is legislation covering most contracts where goods or services (costing more than £42) are supplied to a consumer where the contract is signed by the consumer at their home, place of work, another person's home, or on an excursion organised by the trader away from their business premises.

Regulations allow consumers to cancel some of these contracts and set the cancellation period to a minimum of 14 calendar days.

Failure to provide a clearly displayed notice of the right to cancel to your customers is a criminal offence, and the customer may not have to pay for any work that you have carried out.



Copies of the relevant legislation can be found on the UK Legislation website.



We have detailed guidance available on this legislation and in particular on the information that must be included in any paperwork you issue. For further information please visit our advice and guidance page.

We can also review your paperwork to check that it complies with the legislation. Email Trading Standards or speak to our duty office on 01642 526560 to make a request for business advice. Alternatively we have produce a sample contract which you can use.


Sample Contract & Express Request to Start Work

To view the sample documents please select the appropriate link below:

Sample Contract

Express Request To Start Work

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction