Private fostering

A child drawing

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Private fostering arrangements can occur for many reasons such as children going to live with a friend’s family after separation, divorce or arguments at home; children coming from abroad to access education and health services or teenagers living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend. It does not refer to children on weekend or holiday visits.


Are you Privately Fostering?

If you care for someone else’s child for 28 days or more this may be a private fostering arrangement. If you answer “yes” to the criteria below, you may be a private foster carer.

  • Do you look after a child who is not closely related to you?
  • Do they live with you?
  • Is this a private arrangement between you and the child’s parent?
  • Is this a full time arrangement?
  • Will it last for 28 days or more?

If you live in Stockton-on-Tees, private foster carers and parents must notify the Local Authority about the arrangement.

Please contact The Children's Hub on 01642 130080 or outside of normal business hours, contact the Emergency Duty Team Out of Hours Service on 08702 402994.

Private fostering documents

 Private Fostering poster - Are you looking after someone else's child?
 Private Fostering booklet - Are you looking after someone else's child?
 Private Fostering booklet - Information for Young People
 Private Fostering - Information for Private Foster Carers
 Private Fostering - Information for Professionals
 Children Act 1989 Guidance on Private Fostering
 National Minimum Standards for Private Fostering
 Notification of a Private Fostering Arrangement
 Private Fostering Communications Strategy 2017-19
 Private Fostering Statement 2017-19


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction