For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Pleasure Boats And Boatmen Licences

Licence Summary

To hire out water-bound pleasure crafts (including sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, motor boats, pedallos and larger boats) that are for personal use or carrying passengers, you need a licence. You must not carry more passengers than you are licensed to carry.

To operate such crafts you are required to be licensed as a boatman.

Licences are subject to a fee.


Regulation Summary

Copies of relevant legislation can be found on the website.


Application Process

See our Licensing Fees and Charges webpage for a full list of application fees.

Applications should be in writing, providing specific information including details of the craft you wish to use.

You should also included with your application a copy of your public liability insurance in a sum of not less than £5 million pounds.

It is our aim to complete the application process within 28 working days (subject to a satisfactory consultation within this period).

When granting or renewing a Pleasure Boat or Boatman licence, the Licensing Authority may attach such conditions to it as they consider reasonably necessary.


How To Apply

Application form Apply online
Application For A Pleasure Boat Licence View
Application To Change A Pleasure Boat Licence View
Application For Renewal Of A Pleasure Boat Licence View
Application For A Boatman Licence  
Application For Renewal Of A Boatman Licence  

Contact us about a pleasure boat licence


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that tacit consent does not apply in respect of this application. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or contact us.


Licence Holder Redress

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates Court. Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates Court.


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, visit our Consumer pages or for advice. From outside of the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction