For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Pavement Licence

The Business & Planning Act 2020 allows businesses such as cafes, restaurants and bars to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to the premises for which the application was made, for certain purposes. The furniture is required to be removable, not a permanent fixed structure, and be able to be moved easily and stored away on an evening.

Before granting a licence the local authority will consider:

  • How clear routes of access along the highway must be maintained, taking into account the needs of disabled people, and the recommended minimum footway widths and distances required for access by mobility impaired and visually impaired people;
  • Proposed measures in place to reduce the likely impact of ASB, noise nuisance, provision for no smoking, litter; and
  • Proposed measures in place for social distancing and reducing the risk of the transmission of COVID-19.

If your application includes the use of semi-permanent structures such as decking or the re purpose of car park spaces this will need planning permission and Highways approval which may take a little longer.

View current applications and consultations.


How To Apply

The law defines the way in which an application is made, which includes displaying a public notice outside the premises for a 7 days give passers by the opportunity to comment by a statutory closing date. The authority will determine an application within 14 days of receipt.

Apply online for a pavement licence

Public Notice Template

Read the Pavement Licence Conditions


Regulation Summary & Guidance Notes

Please read the official guidance before applying for a licence:

Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council Guidance

Government Legislation

Government Guidance

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction