For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Licensing Act 2003 - Temporary Event Notices

Licence Summary

If you wish to hold an occasional event that involves the sale of alcohol or the provision of entertainment not covered by an existing premise licence or club certificate you must apply for a temporary event notice (TEN).

The system for obtaining a TEN involves the notification of an event by the premises user to the Licensing Authority, Cleveland Police and the Environmental Health Department. The event must be notified to the Licensing Authority, the Police and Environmental Health with a minimum of 10 working days before the intended event and preferably at least 28 days beforehand. Late notices can be given no later than 5 working days but no earlier than 9 working days before the event.

“Working days" exclude the day the notice is received and the first day of the event. Working days are Monday to Friday excluding Christmas Day, Good Friday and other Bank Holidays. A Notice that is given less than 10 working days before the event to which it relates, when the premises user has already given the permitted number of late TENs in that calendar year, will be returned void and the activities described in it will not be authorised.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more Local Authorities applications must be made to each authority.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year (including up to two late notices). If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year (including up to ten late notices).

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours (7 days) with a minimum of 24 hours between successive events. There can be a maximum of 12 events on one premises in a calendar year. A premises can only have events for a maximum of 21 days per year.

An event must be carried out as detailed in the TEN.

The TEN must contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times during that period when the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters


Regulation Summary

Copies of relevant legislation can be found on the website.


Application Process

See our Licensing Fees and Charges webpage for a full list of application fees.

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the Local Authority at least ten working days before the event (unless it is a late notification). For postal applications two copies of the TEN should be submitted to the Local Authority.

Unless you submit an electronic application you must also give a copy of the notice to the Police and Environmental Health no later than ten working days before the event (unless it is a late notification).

The Local Authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

If the Police and/or Environmental Health believe that the event would undermine the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The Council, as the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

The Police and/or Environmental Health may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such cases an Objection Notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter Notices may be served on the premises user by the Local Authority if the permitted limits for TEN's have been exceeded.


How To Apply

To apply for a Temporary Event Notice please complete the appropriate form below. 

Application form pdf Apply online
Application For A Temporary Event Notice View View


Guidance Notes

To view guidance documents please select the appropriate link below:

Licensing Policy Statement 2021

Temporary Event Notice Guidance


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Yes, in most cases. Tacit Consent applies to a TEN if no relevant representations are made during a period of 48 hours after the notice has been given to the Police. However, if relevant representations are made within 48 hours of a valid TEN being received tacit consent does not apply and a public hearing must be held to determine your application. The public hearing will be held within 7 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended beyond 7 working days if the Licensing Authority considers it is in the public interest to do so.


Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Council in the first instance.

If a Counter Notice is given in relation to an Objection Notice, the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought less than five working days before the day of the planned event.


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, visit our Consumer pages or for advice. From outside of the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction