For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Licensing Act 2003 - Premises Licences

Licence Summary

A Premise Licence can be applied for to permit one or more of the following licensable activities under the Licensing Act 2003.

  • Sale by retail of alcohol (alcohol licensing)
  • Regulated entertainment this may include plays, films, indoor sporting events, live music, recorded music, performance of dancing, anything of a similar description to live music, recorded music or performance of dance
  • Late Night Refreshment which is the provision of hot food or drinks between the hours of 11pm and 5am.

If it is your intention to supply alcohol then you must have a nominated Designated Premise Supervisor (DPS). The DPS must hold a Personal Licence (for further details see our Personal Licence Holders page).

Applicants must be over the age of 18.


Regulation Summary

Copies of relevant legislation can be found on the website.


Application Process

See our Licensing Fees and Charges webpage for a full list of application fees.

Applications must be sent to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located.

Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by:

  • any required fee
  • an operating schedule
  • a plan of the premises and
  • a form of consent from the Designated Premise Supervisor (DPS) for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity. Designated Premise Supervisors are required to hold a personal licence (for further details see our Personal Licence Holders page)
  • Evidence of Right to Work.

An operating schedule forms part of the completed application form and must include the information necessary to allow the responsible authorities to assess whether the steps taken to promote the licensing objectives are satisfactory. An operating schedule must set out:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
  • information in respect of the premises supervisor
  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other required information.

The Licensing Authority and Responsible Authorities will expect applicants to properly address the steps that are necessary to promote the four licensing objectives in their operating schedule.

A Pool of Model Conditions have been produced to assist applicants and existing licence holders through the application process. This pool of conditions is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of conditions which may be included on a premise licence. It does not restrict any applicant, responsible authority, or other person from proposing any alternative conditions, nor would it restrict a licensing committee from imposing any reasonable condition on a licence it considers appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives.

If uncertain, applicants should seek advice from the relevant authority before submitting their application.

Applicants are required to give notice of the application to the following Responsible Authorities on the same day as the day on which the application is given to the licensing authority:

  • Cleveland Police
  • Cleveland Fire Brigade
  • Trading Standards
  • Environmental Health
  • Planning
  • First Contact
  • Public Health
  • Home Office Immigration Enforcement

Please note that you are not required to notify Responsible Authorities if you are applying using the online service.

Provisions to Prevent Illegal Working in the Alcohol and Late Night Refreshments Sectors

Immigration safeguards have been introduced for alcohol and late night refreshment in England and Wales.

The new provisions mean that licensing authorities are prohibited from issuing premises and personal licences for the sale of alcohol or provision of late night refreshment to anyone who is illegally present in the UK or not permitted to carry out work in a licensable activity.

Applicants are therefore required to submit one of a number of specified copy documents which show that they are in the UK lawfully and permitted to carry out work in a licensable activity.

Immigration Enforcement, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State, have been added to the list of responsible authorities. It will be consulted for any new premises licence applications or variations for the sale of alcohol and late night refreshment.

Please see Right to Work Guidance to show entitlement to work. You MUST submit an acceptable document with a:

  • Application for a New Premise Licence
  • Application to Transfer a Premise Licence
  • Application for a Personal Licence


Advertising and Consultation

To advertise the application, the applicant must clearly display a Notice immediately on or outside the premises for a period of no less than twenty eight consecutive days starting on the day following the day on which the application was given to the Local Authority.

The Notice must be:

  • of a size equal or larger than A4
  • of a pale blue colour
  • printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font of a size equal to or larger than 16
  • for properties with a frontage onto a highway more than 50 metres long, the Notice should be displayed at at 50 metre intervals
  • additionally, the applicant must publish a notice in a local newspaper or, if there is none, in a local newsletter, circular or similar document, circulating in the vicinity of the premises. This must be advertised on at least one occasion during the period of ten working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the Local Authority.

Responsible Authorities, members of the public and other interested parties have a period of 28 consecutive days, starting the day the application is made to the local authority, to consider the application and make relevant representation.


Other Premises Licence Applications

Applications can also be made to Vary or Transfer a licence or to change the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). A hearing may have to be held if representations are made or conditions relating to a transfer are not met.

Other applications that can be made are applications for a Minor Variations which includes premises layouts, small adjustment to licensing hours, removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions and addition of volunteered conditions. Applications can also be made for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.


How To Apply

To apply for a Licence please complete the appropriate form below. If downloading and posting the application form it should be returned to the address below.


Application Form


Apply online

Apply For The Grant Of A Premises Licence



Apply For A Provisional Statement



Apply For A Variation Of Your Premises Licence



Apply To Transfer Your Premises Licence



Consent To Transfer



Apply For A Minor Variation Of Your Premises Licence



Apply To Vary The Designated Premises Supervisor



Consent To Be Named As A Designated Premises Supervisor



Request To Be Removed As A Designated Premises Supervisor



Apply For Designated Premises Supervisor To Be Disapplied



Notification Of An Interest In A Premise Under Section 178



Apply For An Interim Authority Notice



Premise Licence Holder - Change of Name and/or Address



Designated Premise Supervisor (DPS) - Change of Name and/or Address


Change of Trading Name for a  Licensed Premise


Application For Copy Of A Premise Licence    View

Pay Your Annual Charge For Your Premises Licence



Notice Of Surrender Of A Premise Licence



Application For A Review Of A Premise Licence



To Make Representation On A Current Application




Guidance Notes

To view guidance documents please select the appropriate link below:

Licensing Policy Statement 2021

Pool of Model Conditions

Evidence of Right to Work

Format For Notice For Premises

Format For Newspaper Advertisement

Guidance for Premise Plans

Guidance on Making A Representation

Guidance on A Review Application

Alcohol Wholesalers Registration Scheme

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction