Food Premises Register

A piece of meat being cut

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

The Food Premises Register is a list of food businesses within the local area. A food business is required by law to register with the local Environmental Health service.


Who should register with the Food Premises Register?

If you run a food business for five or more days in any five consecutive weeks, you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, cooking, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises could include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, food delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans and other mobile catering vehicles.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before starting up.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises, such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.


Food premises approval

If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals, for example meat or dairy products, other than for direct sale to the consumer, your premises may need to be approved by the council before you can undertake the activity. Contact the Environmental Health team to check if approval is required for your food premises.


Register a food business on the Food Business Register

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before starting up. There is no charge to join the Food Premises Register. 

Please email completed applications to [email protected] or post to Environmental Health Team Leader (Commercial), Environmental Health Unit, Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council, 16 Church Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 1XD.

If you have food premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately. It is an offence to give information which you know is false.


Changing your details on the Food Premises Register 

Once you have registered your business with us you must tell us about the following changes. 

  • A change of the business owner - a new Food Premises Register application form will be required
  • A change to the nature of the business
  • A change of the address at which moveable premises are kept

Complete the GOV.UK application for changes in a food business registered in Stockton-on-Tees

Stockton-on-Tees Council may change the entry of your business in the Food Premises Register if we receive information from another person. A business owner is given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

These notes are provided for information only and should not be regarded as a complete statement of the law. 


Businesses exempt from Food Premises Registration

Some premises are exempt from registration, such as those which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. Contact the Environmental Health team for advice about exempt businesses.


Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of this application. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 56 days contact the Environmental Health team.  


Viewing the information available on the Food Premises Register

A register of addresses and the type of business carried out will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of other information you have provided will not be publicly available. Contact the Environmental Health team to arrange to view the Food Premises Register. 


Complaints and Advice

If you wish to complain about the way we have dealt with your application please contact the Environmental Health team.

If you wish to complain about a food business in your area we advise that you contact the trader in the first instance - preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If your complaint is not resolved you may wish to take advice from Citizens Advice (if you live within the UK) or the UK European Consumer Centre (if you live outside of the UK) or you may contact the Environmental Health team with details of your complaint.

For additional advice the following trade associations may be helpful:


Related licences and services

The following licences, permits and information about Stockton-on-Tees Council services may help support your application.


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction