Light, Air and Noise Pollution

An Environmental Health Officer working in the Borough

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Light Pollution

Light pollution can be intrusive to others. It usually happens from the use of artificial lighting, such as street lights or garden lighting.

In some cases when light is emitted it can be seen as damaging to health or a nuisance. 

The council has a duty to investigate all complaints regarding this issue.

If we feel the level of light present does constitute a nuisance we are able to deal with it under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Clean Neighborhoods and Environment Act 2005.

Contact the Environmental Health team to discuss concerns about light pollution. 


Air Pollution

Environmental Health undertake air quality monitoring at 12 different roadside sites through the use of passive diffusion tubes which monitor monthly NO2 levels and through three automatic continuous monitoring stations which are based at:


  • Eaglescliffe School Eaglescliffe which monitors for NO2, PM2.5 and PM10
  • Nelson Terrace, A1305, Stockton-on-Tees which monitors for NO2 and PM2.5
  • Cowpen Depot, Billingham which monitors for NO2


During the most recent monitoring period 2020 there were no exceedances of the NO2 annual mean objective at any monitoring location throughout the Borough, the highest level recorded which has again  improved from 2019. In addition there were no exceedance of PM2.5 or PM10 at any monitoring site within 2020. 


The general trend for air quality within Stockton-on-Tees is that levels have generally improved year-on-year from 2018 to 2020. This data and analysis has been fully ratified and confirmed by Defra who note the assessments as examples of best practise.


Full details of Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council’s 2020 monitoring and results for air quality can be found within the report on the link below:



As well as monitoring for general air quality pollution levels Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council also address local are quality by enforcing for:


  • Smoke Nuisance at residential properties as defined by The Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • Smoke from chimneys or industrial sites with a smoke control area as defined by The Clean Air Act 1993
  • Air emissions from industrial sites as defined by The Pollution, Prevention and Protection Act 1999 which are not administered by the Environment Agency


Noise Pollution

Noise is unwanted sound and can cause annoyance, irritation and disturbed sleep. The Environmental Health team have certain legal powers to deal with noise problems and can deal with noise complaints from a variety of activities including:

  • Domestic sources - barking dogs, amplified music, DIY noise, intruder alarms
  • Industrial sources - noisy fans, generators
  • Commercial sources - entertainment noise
  • Construction Sites - noise from building/demolition works
  • Certain noise in streets from vehicles, machinery and equipment

To report noise pollution, please use our noise services form.

Or call Civic Enforcement team on 01642 607943 between 9am - 10pm

Intruder alarms

Where an intruder alarm is sounding continuously for 20 minutes, or intermittently for more than an hour at an address, our officers may try and find the key holder (depending on the time of day).

If the key holder is not found, officers will silence the alarm from the exterior of the property. The costs incurred as a result of this work will be charged to the property owner.

To prevent this type of action you should leave details of key holders with a neighbour or relative and inform us of your arrangements. 


Prevention is better than cure

As well as dealing with complaints of noise we also do a lot of preventative work to stop noise occurring, these include:

  • Assessment of the impact of noise of new developments under the Development Control (Planning) system by imposing strict noise conditions on developers
  • Assessment of the noise impact of certain industrial processes
  • Prior Consent for construction/demolition works where hours of operation and noise conditions can be imposed to minimise the impact from this activity
  • Educational campaigns such as annual Noise Action Week
  • Fits in with the 'Respect' and 'Citizenship' campaigns used in schools
  • Licensing to control noise from certain licensed premises


Contact the Environmental Health Service

Address: P.O. Box 232, 16 Church Road, Stockton on Tees, TS18 1XD

Telephone: 01642 526575

Fax: 01642 524743

Email: [email protected]

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction