Support for young people when they leave care

A child drawing

For Coronavirus information including the current restrictions, any disruptions to Council services, how to book a COVID-19 test and the support available for residents and businesses visit

We believe that our care leavers should expect the same level of care and support that others would expect a reasonable parent to give.

For young people leaving care in Stockton, the transition to adulthood will be based on their individual need following assessment and planning rather than being based solely on the age of the young person. For those young people who have complex and additional needs, they may require ongoing support from Adult Services.

Financial Support for Leaving Care

If, when a young person reaches the age of 16 years and we have looked after them for at least 13 weeks during the last two years, then we will be responsible for their financial support whilst they are 16 and 17 years old.

We are the child or young person’s primary source of income. This means they will not be able to receive Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance or Housing Benefit during this time.

Lone parents and disabled young people will continue to be eligible for benefits including Job Seeker's Allowance, Income Support and any other benefits due to them because of their disability or parental status. However they will not be able to claim Housing Benefit. The Local Authority will pay their accommodation costs.


Transition Learning Mentors

The Youth and Leaving Care Team have a "Transitional Learning Mentor" whose role is to work with Year 11 young people who are looked after to make the transition from school to education, training or employment.

This involves liaising with other teams, such as schools, colleges, training providers, Youth Direction and employers, so that the best possible outcomes are available for our young people.


Supported Lodgings Scheme

The Supported Lodgings Scheme aims to provide care leavers with additional options for accommodation. This can include emergency accommodation when there is the chance of homelessness or planned long term accommodation with their previous foster carers.

The scheme will provide a stepping-stone on the pathway to independent living and help enable young people to maintain and sustain their own tenancies.

If you have a spare room and would like the opportunity to help a young person make the first step to independence, to offer security and support then you should consider making an application. In return you will receive a financial incentive, training and support from the supported lodgings team. If you are accepted onto the scheme, your details will form a register of householders who can provide suitable accommodation for young people who do not have a home of their own.

Before being able to offer supported lodgings or an emergency stop-over we will carry out police checks and obtain references, you will not be able to offer these services if you have committed offences against children.

If you are interested in making a supported lodgings enquiry please contact the Looked After Children Service.

Address: Looked After Children Service, 70 Norton Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 2DE

Telephone: 01642 527860

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction