Anti-social behaviour

A community safety officer on duty in a street

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Anti-social behaviour is serious or persistent behaviour that causes harassment, alarm and distress within a community or society.

It can cover a range of issues, from annoying disturbance, such as loud music to serious acts of violence and harassment. This behaviour may be caused by individuals or involve groups of people.

Our Civic Enforcement Team can offer advice and support to anyone who feels they are being harassed in a serious and persistent nature.


If I report anti-social behaviour is it confidential?

Yes, we will treat what you tell us with the strictest confidence. To take action we will need to interview the alleged perpetrator, you can ask us not to do this, but we may not be able to take the case further. If you are worried about reprisals, you can discuss these concerns with us at any time.


What happens when I complain about anti-social behaviour?

We will talk to you to find out what is happening and how you are affected, and contact may be made with other people, including the alleged perpetrator, in order to establish the facts. We can then take the following steps:

  • Warn the alleged perpetrator.
  • We may involve other agencies such as Social Services or the Police in criminal cases.
  • If you agree, we may refer you to a confidential mediation service for neighbours in conflict. They may be able to find a solution that you and your neighbours are happy with.
  • There are many other services we can discuss which obviously depends on the nuisance being suffered.
  • If these options fail there are also various other legal options.

Following this, the following options may be applicable:

  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs) - The content of the contract will be drawn up using evidence that has been gathered and failure to comply with the agreed terms can result in an Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction or Criminal Behaviour Order being sought where appropriate.
  • Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions (ASBIs) - These are civil injunctions and do not give the individual a criminal record. Not only can it prohibit behaviour, it can require the individual to take positive action in dealing with the underlying cause of said behaviour. 
  • Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBOs) - These focus on more serious offenders, who engage in criminal activity as well as anti-social behaviour. It can only be issued in conjunction with a sentence that is already imposed or if the individual has a conditional discharge.
  • Injunctions - The Council can only apply for an Injunction in certain situations, where the anti-social behaviour is causing serious problems that is affecting a community, or when there are threats or intimidation towards Council Officers.
  • Notice of Intention to Seek Possession (NOSP) - A NOSP can be served by a landlord where there is evidence of breach of tenancy. In most cases the NOSP will advise that eviction proceedings will not commence until 28 days after the notice has been served. 
  • Eviction - The Civic Enforcement Service works with all housing providers to gather evidence that could be used for eviction proceedings. 


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction