Food Premises Register

doing business

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

The Food Premises Register is a list of food businesses from the area. A food business is required by law to register with the local Environmental Health service.


Food businesses that should register on the Food Premises Register

If you run a food business for five or more days in any five consecutive weeks, you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, cooking, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises could include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, food delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans and other mobile catering vehicles etc.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before starting up.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises, such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.


Food premises approval

If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals, for example meat or dairy products, other than for direct sale to the consumer, your premises may need to be approved by the council before you can undertake the activity. Contact the Environmental Health team to check if approval is required for your food premises.