Environmental Permits

doing business

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit www.stockton.gov.uk/coronavirus

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming


Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council or the Environment Agency (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency


Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation. 

If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.


Fee information

A fee will be be payable, which will vary depending on the details of your application.


Application Evaluation Process

We will consider your application by considering the the following:

  • the protection of the environment taken as a whole
  • reducing emissions into the air, water and land

We may inform the public of an application and must consider any representations made by others.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and we must be satisfied that the facility is operated in accordance with the environmental permit.


Will Tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent does not apply. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

Please be aware that the following timescales should be expected for applications for Environmental Permits:

Environmental Permit Part A2 - four months


Apply for an Environmental Permit

Apply for an Environmental Permit- Part A2

Apply for an Environmental Permit - Part B

Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances


Complaints and advice

Please contact the Environmental Health team in the first instance.  You may then wish to contact the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State.  Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused, or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit you should contact the Environmental Health team and then you may wish to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate, Environment Pollution Appeals , Room 4/19 Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol BS1 6PN -telephone (0117) 372 8726.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint that you should contact us by post (with proof of delivery). You may then wish to contact the Local Authority Ombudsman.  Complaints from outside the UK should be sent to the UK European Consumer Centre.

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

The following trade associations may be a useful source of information:

Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)

Environmental Industries Commission (EIC)

Environmental Services Associations (ESA)