Apply for a licence or permit

Business documents being exchanged between two people

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Stockton Council is responsible for the issue of a wide variety of business licences and permits.

Can't find the licence you're looking for? Visit the licensing webpages for more licences and information.


Food and drink related applications and permits

A food business is required by law to register with the local Environmental Health service. For more information and how to register see Environmental Health web page  

Street Cafe Licence

For more information about placing tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the highway (roads and pavements) within Stockton Borough see Street cafe's, A boards and shop displays.

Town Centre and trading related applications and permits

The sale of goods from consent streets within the borough of Stockton on Tees requires a prior consent to do so. Street Trading Consent

To place advertising boards or display on the highway (roads and pavements) within the Stockton Borough you will need a licence from Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council. For more information and how to apply see Applications for a licence for advertising boards 

If you would like to trade at one of our open markets in Stockton, Billingham or Thornaby you will need to apply to trade as a casual trader prior to being granted an open market licence. For further information and how to apply see Traditional Markets web page. 

If you intend to hold an occasional sale in the Borough of Stockton or if you intend to permit such an event to be held in premises which you occupy (or on a site adjoining) within the Borough of Stockton you must supply certain information to Stockton Licensing not less than 21 days before the sale. Occasional Sales


Housing Related applications and permits

No cold calling scheme application

The aim of these zones is to reduce the number of bogus callers, distraction burglaries and rogue traders operating in your area.


Environmental related applications and permits

Environmental permitting

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility. A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Weighbridge operator

To operate a public weighbridge, you require a certificate of competence issued by the Chief Inspector for Weights and Measures for your local authority.

For more information about licences and how to apply for one see the Trading Standards web page.