Social housing

Houses in the Borough

The Government has announced 'Local COVID alert level: high' restrictions for Stockton-on-Tees.

For further information about the rules and disruptions to Council services visit

Applying for a home - Choice Based Lettings Scheme

In July 2009 a change in the way which vacant properties are allocated took place across the Tees Valley.

The Choice Based Lettings scheme (CBL) replaced the old points-based system with one of bidding, rather than just choosing certain areas of preference, people on the Tees Valley Common Housing Register can now register an interest in an individual property.

Compass is the CBL for the Tees Valley area and is made up of a number of councils and partner organisations. 


Search for a Social or Private Rented property on the Compass website

If you wish to apply for a socially rented property you will need to join the Tees Valley Common Housing Register.

By registering you will have the option to search for available homes and bid for your preferred properties.

For further assistance with an application you can contact Thirteen.

Telephone: 0300 111 1000

Email: [email protected].


Complaints about social housing

The Housing Ombudsman service looks at complaints about housing organisations. The service is free, independent and impartial.

They consider all complaints but encourage landlords and tenants to work together in the first instance so that complaints can be resolved at a local level and at the earliest opportunity.

Visit the Housing Ombudsman Service website.


Right to Buy and Right to Acquire

If you are interested in buying your home under the Right to Buy or Right to Acquire scheme and would like additional information, get in touch with Thirteen who will be happy to help you find out more.

Visit the Thirteen website for further information about Right to Buy and Right to Acquire.

Telephone Thirteen: 0300 111 1000.